Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Superwoman


The argument: Even Superwoman is helpless to aids.

The ad makers have placed an image of a very powerful, strong, battle-fighting figure we are all aware of as Superwoman in a setting that we are also very aware of as a room of fear, death, and weakness. The juxtaposition of the two come together to form an ad of awareness and warning for aids is a battle even Superwoman can't win. 

Many rhetorical strategies are put at play here in this ad to grip our attention. By placing Superwoman in the ad, the strategy of authorities is applied in order to make us, the ad readers, recognize that "aids make us equal"; that whether human or superhuman, we are all susceptible to aids. Cause and effect is also being used, but not so much in an obvious way. Unprotected sex can cause aids. An image of sex is not necessary for the audience to make that connection because this cause and effect is not breaking news. The ad serves as a reminder, not a scientific break through. In addition, the way that Superwoman is posed, the lost expression on her face, the gray filter placed on the picture to add grimness, the depth and darkness of her eyes, the thinness of her arms and face, the IV, the way her right hand is placed in an attempt to grip using her very last strength, the loneliness - these all serve under the description and pathos rhetorical strategy. When both used together, the purpose is to personify a Superhuman into a normal human being. It makes us think, that could be me. In addition to pathos, perhaps the reason why Superwoman was chosen instead of Superman is because women, when seen in pain and helplessness, stirs in men the desire to help, while in women, it stirs the feeling of relativity - women feel for other women's pain. As for ethos, the ad displays one little symbol that says enough - the red ribbon. The red ribbon is a symbol for AIDS.gov, and especially for it being a dot-gov website, we are given a sense of credibility and trust because this ad was created through a government organization. In relation to trust, examining the motive of the ad increases that trust. Why would the government take the time and money to invest into creating this ad? Was it to decorate the streets of America? No, the image serves to inform and remind. The motive is to inform and remind.

I was moved by this image because of the truth it speaks. As college freshmen, we are vulnerable to many college temptations. And though some nights may be the time of our lives, we should protect ourselves so that one awesome night doesn't create a living hell for the rest of our lives.

4 comments:

  1. KimAnh,
    You did a wonderful job! I love that you analyzed the argument and left your personal opinions until the end of your post, which is exactly what the prompt asked of you! :) Well done.

    You chose an especially powerful PSA. I've never seen this before, but it really is quite effective. I wonder why the creators of this ad chose to use Superwoman rather than Superman, or is there one like this with Superman?

    Thank you for sharing your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ad is incredibly eye opening to me especially at this point in life. I'm an 18 year old man who has been granted freedoms now that I have moved on to college. Obviously everyone says to make good choices, but how much do we truly follow this advice? I'm not going to lie, being here I feel absolutely invincible. Strong, healthy, and active, I feel like there's nothing that can stop me. That may have ended up in bad decision making, but like I said your ad choice has really caught my eye. I absolutely agree with the authors message here, and I don't just see it as saying "aids can affect anyone," but I also see it as a message to be cautious and protect ourselves from temptations that we would usually never think about.

    Awesome passage,
    James Iannone

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! The ad you chose is very moving and really portrays that aids can overpower even the strongest people in the nation. The author does an amazing job portraying hopelessness with the colors and the grim look on Superwoman's face. The ad conveys an immediate sense of hopelessness and shock. I agree with your argument tremendously, and like yourself, I was moved by the image's truth it speaks. Great post!
    Taylor Missin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this a lot. It also makes me think about who her partner was. I'm sure he/she was super(lol) hot and good looking. It just makes me think that someone can look as good as Superman/Woman and still carry the virus.

    ReplyDelete